For those of you who didn't get the reference, I was actually quoting the film 'Matilda'. If you haven't seen it, you haven't lived.
But no, this post, believe it or not, is not actually about a girl who can control things with her mind powers (if you haven't seen it, I'm sorry. I just ruined the plot). Its actually about poetry.
When I first started at uni, I had literally told everyone how much I was dreading having to write the evil that is poetry. For me, I'd grown up with the concept that poems were all about being totally and completely in love or having abusive parents. I have neither, so immediately thought 'I'm going to do so crap on that module.'
BUT saying that, I have slightly been proven wrong. If you asked me now, I'd probably choose poetry over prose without hesitation. Saying that makes me feel a little bit like I'm cheating on prose, because I've always said that's what I'm best at, but things change I suppose.
Even strict form (something I was dreading more than anything) turned out to be okay. I wouldn't choose to write like that normally, but somehow I muddled through and ended up actually enjoying it. I guess that's what creative writing is all about though. Even when you're an established writer, people label you and say 'oh you're a novelist' or 'you're a poet', and when I started, I thought that you would just stick to whatever you're best at. But again, I've been proven wrong. Turns out you can actually be a writer and be good at more than one style of writing...
Wow. I have actually learnt something at uni. Who'd have thought it?
No comments:
Post a Comment