Tuesday, 27 March 2012

End of an Era

So, uni is coming to an end for my first year and I can't help but feel reflective. This time last year I was someone completely different, I couldn't switch on an oven, let alone understand the mysterious workings of a washing machine. Now, I'm almost independant and I'm someone else.
This last year has been eventful. I've made mistakes, I've fallen in love, I've had my heart broken more times than I want to count and I've picked myself up every time. I've learnt that things like trust are overrated, that people are definitely not always who you think they are. I've seen people change from something perfect to something I can't even stand to look at. I've had to learn that some people are not worth the effort and that letting go isn't always a bad thing. There's all sorts of new games I've learnt too: the boat, fingers, fuck you and snap (not the version I was used to). I've witnessed more sick and hangovers than any nurse and I've suffered only two myself.
I've felt the happiest I've ever felt and the saddest too. I've hit all new highs and ever lower lows. My defensive shell is now always on up and I beginning to wonder whether I will actually ever go back to being normal again.
As for actual learning, I think I can safely say that being a fresher is NOT intended to educate you in whatever subject you are taking, its to prepare you for the shit you're going to go through for the next two years.
All things said and done, I wouldn't change much. However, if I was given the oppurtunity to give myself one bit of advice last september before we started, it would be this:
Don't spend so much time thinking about the mistakes you are bound to make. Enjoy the ride and make sure you get straight back on it when its all over.


Thank you university. £40 pounds an hour for pain, misery, heartache, hunger, poverty, one night stands, hangovers and chundering. Well worth the money, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment